Cookery Corner - No Fry Fish & Chips

I've been promising you another Cookery Corner - I've had a ton of emails asking me when it would be posted - well, here it is! Sorry for the delay but with so much happening it can be a struggle to squeeze it in sometimes, I will make sure to do one more often in future!

Today's recipe is a popular one here at home, B loves junk food, anything fried is his favourite, personally I don't like fried food, we don't have a frier here at home and I try to encourage him to bake or grill wherever possible to try and keep him healthier! My fish and chip recipe came as a result of that, I'd rather cook a healthy baked fish and chips (no frying, no batter!) that tastes just as good as the fried shop version, and even B agrees that this is better than his junk food favourite!

No-Fry Fish & Chips (Serves 2)

Ingredients:

2 pieces of white fish - I tend to use Haddock or Cod
2 Potatoes
4 Pieces of Smoked Bacon
Spray Oil
Sea Salt & Black Pepper

Wrap each piece of fish in 2 pieces of bacon, wrap loosely in foil and put in the oven on a medium heat
Peel the potatoes and cut into chips
Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil (2-3 sprays)
Spread the chips evenly on the baking sheet, spray again with oil (2-3 sprays) and season with sea salt and black pepper
Bake in the oven with the fish for around 30 minutes (turn halfway through) and serve!

Just a note that towards the end of cooking, I unwrap my fish from the foil and grill each side for about 2 minutes to make the bacon crispy, depends on how you prefer your bacon (I like mine just in danger of burning, lol) I also rest my fish on some kitchen towel for a few seconds each side before serving, it soaks up any excess oil from the bacon.

Simple, easy and relatively healthy - apart from the bacon - but you could use turkey bacon or a low fat version if you are more health conscious than B and I! but there isn't much of it and it's better for you than the oily fried batter! The bacon also gives the fish a fabulous taste. Baked oven chips are also much tastier than fried, for a change you could also try leaving the skins on for more fibre (just remember to scrub them thoroughly first)

Enjoy!

Thanks for dropping by today, I will be back tomorrow with a crafty project to share :o)

Sarah x

1 comment:

  1. sounds wonderful~I agree on the frying but it is hard to stop, so used to it. But we are!!

    ReplyDelete